Homeless Nashville

How do you describe being homeless? Growing up in a middle class family, doing all the right things. Then one day, you are on the street.What Happens now?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Nashville, Tennessee, United States

Now that I am no longer homeless, I still hope to help others. There are a few who truly want off the streets, out of the soup lines. Back to a "normal" way of living. Everyone who is homeless isn't a bum, nor a criminal. There are those that just need a chance. My first day as a homeless person was April 1st, 1997. From then on its been an unreal experience. Not one I would suggest anyone go thru, but one I know I have learned from. I hope in some way this blog helps you, the reader know a little about me. But more important , I hope it helps you understand a little more about homeless people in general.

3.28.2005

Day to day

This past week, I wrote down ( with a pad and pen! How archaic!) what I wanted to blog about. Now if I can just type fast enough to get it all down!
Sunday was spent fishing. Really a wonderful day. I was in a teeshirt and got a little sun actually.
The fishing was, well so-so. The farm pond I was at seems to still not have warmed up as much as I thought it would. One bass about 1 pound and one a little lareger, but not much. I don't eat the bass, so I released both of them. I did however SEE a rather large bass cruising the shoreline, he (actually probably a she) didn't seem to like any of my offerings.
Monday was a great day at work. It was such a nice day, everyone was in a great mood. You could hear guys laughing all day long. Work is great. The newness hasnt wore off I know. But I am happy with what I do, and for the most part, I am in my own little world in my work area.
No one is really all that close to me. So at times, its just me. Me and my work. I like that.
There is NO pressure here. Much different than most cabinet shops where you seem to always be under a deadline. We have deadlines, but , no one is standing on top of you, making your life miserable.
The weather here seems to change by the minute this spring.
I have noticed that Middle Tennessee gets a wetter spring than most do.
Good thing because the summer really gets nasty sometimes.
I have the weekend off. So, other than trying to get this on my blog , I am going to fish.
Seems they took a new survey of the homeless in Nashville. I am anxious to talk with some of my friends to see if they were counted this time.
Last survey they took, myself and at least 50 others weren't counted. I think they mainly count the people who stay in the shelters and on the river downtown. I guess either they are too scared to venture to other areas, or they want the count as low as possible.
I have found it hard to keep up with homeless events and news since leaving the street. Thats both good and bad.
I am glad to be off the street, but yet, feel a need to keep current and supportive of others.
I have moved only a few miles, but it seems like a new world to me.
I had to come to Nashville this evening after work. So it afforded me the chance to post here. Hope everyone is well and happy

6 Comments:

Blogger mrhaney said...

hello fred.
i am glad to see that things are going good with you. i have been busy working on my house and have installed a few doors and i am now working on my floors. i probably would not mind working at a cabinet shop as long as i was not pressured a lot. well have a good week and i will talk with you soon.

5:55 PM  
Blogger ~m2~ said...

(((fred))) good morning - i just wanted to pop in and check up on you and see that you are still doing well - i am so happy for you.

don't let the newness of your job wear off; you keep that spirit as long as you like, you've waited a long time for a decent break in life and i am thrilled to see good things still happening (would be better had the fish been biting though, i know...)

peace to you, my friend,
penni
(martha, martha)

4:51 AM  
Blogger No soup for you! said...

HiYa Fred!!!! Thank you so much for keeping us posted :)

5:44 AM  
Blogger mrhaney said...

hello fred
you seem to be having a lot of fun with your job. i am glad they are not watching you like a hawk. i finally made an audio blog on my site . if you go there scroll down till you find it and play it and tell me what you think.
well have a good one and i will talk with you soon.

9:55 PM  
Blogger Quit Smoking said...

Hello fellow fisherman,

Did you know that 16% of the U.S. population goes fishing at least 16 days a year?

Did you also know that over 75% of the nations fishermen do not fish during "prime time"; fish feeding hours?

Those precious few moments before twilight can be absolutely magical. Even up until 11pm at night, the largest predators of any species feed ravenously.

Don't believe me? Check out Daniel Eggertsen's story, and a picture of a couple of his catches here : "Evening Secrets plus more"

I want you to do me a favor and try it out so I can see what you think of it, and if it works for you as well as it did for me.

You will be one of the first to try it out.

Gone Fishin',

Neil

4:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

NSU - 4efer, 5210 - rulez

1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home