Homeless Nashville

How do you describe being homeless? Growing up in a middle class family, doing all the right things. Then one day, you are on the street.What Happens now?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Nashville, Tennessee, United States

Now that I am no longer homeless, I still hope to help others. There are a few who truly want off the streets, out of the soup lines. Back to a "normal" way of living. Everyone who is homeless isn't a bum, nor a criminal. There are those that just need a chance. My first day as a homeless person was April 1st, 1997. From then on its been an unreal experience. Not one I would suggest anyone go thru, but one I know I have learned from. I hope in some way this blog helps you, the reader know a little about me. But more important , I hope it helps you understand a little more about homeless people in general.

2.26.2005

First paycheck

Got my first paycheck yesterday,,,felt good. It was only for a week, I wont get my first full paycheck for two more weeks. I must have been accumalating good deed tokens. Thursday evening I got a visit from some of the people where I go to church again, you will remember last post they really did well by me.
Again they have done me a good deed. Many of themembers donate vehicles to charities. This time they donated one to me. I am now the proud owner of a 1999 ford f-150 pickup. High miles but , I have looked thru the maintainence records and they never missed a lube and oil change at 2000 miles. Not a scratch on it either. The seat has had a seatcover on it from the time it was new as well. I do need to get a batttery, the one in it is original and due to be replaced, as are the belts and it needs tires as well. BUT, can't complain. My boss's wife( she is the one that read my blog and got me hired to begin with) took me to the bank yesterday and to get tags as well. SO today I am driving myself! Oh I got insurance first thing this morning as well.
No tthat I will be driving much. But I do need to be able to get to the grocery store and other places on my own.
Like I said, I must have a bunch of tokens;)
Work is very good. I really like the men I am working with, and the work itself is great as well.
Needless to say I am happy.
OH , I think that it may be time for a new blog for me. I want to keep this one open because I have a few more things I want to post here. I need a name, any suggestions?
Also, since I got hired I have been offered 2 other jobs as well. One is full-time where I worked last year. Will expanded , therefore could hire me full-time. Of course I turned it down, but, I did talk him into hiring another homeless person.
Aslo I was offered a landscaping job, and I talked that man into hiring a homeless person as well.
Lastly, Will and I have talked alot since I was laid off about my ideas on the private sector funding non profits, and dissolving government grants altogether. Ok he will tell you I did the talking. Guess I did, guess it worked. I did a lot of research in regards to the tax laws( been awhile, but I used to do taxes on the side)
And I proved to him that it was a viable situation. And he in turn talked some of his buddies into going alog with him.
Right now I found a agency that deals with kids who have alcohol and drug problems. They have been thru about all the programs there are and this place is the their last chance. It was taking 30 kids , but due to grant cuts, only 20. Will and his gang restored the funding so they can get 30 kids into the program.
The other non profit is a home for abused women. They have lost about 30% of their funding in the past few years as well. Now they are 100% funded.
This may or may not work. But if you aren't part of the solution, you are part of the problem
See ya next week

4 Comments:

Blogger No soup for you! said...

Hiya Fred! More great news....I love hearing it :) Im sure you love living it better though!

Absolutely non proficts can be funded by the private sector. Daily Bread Food Bank did it for many many years. And continues to. We called it 'corporate conscienciousness'.

Here's their present website:

http://www.dailybread.ca/

9:10 AM  
Blogger Aaron the Atheist said...

Welcome back Fred.

I'm sure your story and your continued progress will be an inspiration for many months and years to come so please keep us posted even if times aren't so great as they are now for you.

On a side note, I noticed a media frenzy of news articles on homelessness today in my news feeds. What gives? Did someone at AP decide to publish everything they had on homelessness today?

Homelessness a Problem, on Any Given Day'Supportive Housing' Option for HomelessAP Poll Shows Concern About HomelessnessOptions for the Homeless Can Be Costly

10:49 AM  
Blogger mrhaney said...

hello fred.
i am glad to see that you are doing better. the truck sounds like a nice one. you can not beat having a truck. they always come in handy. i have my 1954 chevy dually and i really enjoy it. it is a 3/4 ton truck. i have had a 1954 1/2 ton chevy and a 1948 1/2 ton and i even owned a 1978 ford van. i like the one i have now and i really liked the 1948 chevy i had. well heres hoping you have a good week and i will talk to you soon.

5:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am hoping you will share your story.
jewelry kindness religion

1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home