Homeless Nashville

How do you describe being homeless? Growing up in a middle class family, doing all the right things. Then one day, you are on the street.What Happens now?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Nashville, Tennessee, United States

Now that I am no longer homeless, I still hope to help others. There are a few who truly want off the streets, out of the soup lines. Back to a "normal" way of living. Everyone who is homeless isn't a bum, nor a criminal. There are those that just need a chance. My first day as a homeless person was April 1st, 1997. From then on its been an unreal experience. Not one I would suggest anyone go thru, but one I know I have learned from. I hope in some way this blog helps you, the reader know a little about me. But more important , I hope it helps you understand a little more about homeless people in general.

2.09.2005

2.09.2005

Good morning to all!

Job creation is expensive, but so is joblessness. The true cost of creating jobs for everyone who wants to work is the difference between the cost of creating the jobs and the costs of unemployment that governments already bear. Creating jobs for all might end up saving taxpayers more money than it costs them.
Philip Harvey
Makes sense to me. Give a person a job and increase the tax roles. Decrease welfare, unemployment,etc. But who do we have to convince of this?
There are other effects of being jobless and homeless. Many homeless eventually reach a point that there is a loss of motivation to not work, but in many cases to try to distance themselves from life in general.
Skills of blue collar workers deteriorate, with lack of use. A persons self-esteem and self-confidence are eroded.
Health problems multiply. Both physical and mental.
Who do we have to convince of this?
The President has few choices. Cutting taxes for those who create jobs, thus freeing up funds for them. Rolling back regulations on industry( California has about regulated themselves out of most industry), or maybe working to expand current foreign markets or find new ones.
States have about the same venues open as well.
Its really NOT a government issue. But the government can help out.
Its up to business's to find the solutions.
Who do we have to convince of this?

Each other. One person at a time we have to convince them that there are people who want to work, who want a better life. And that they need a job that pays a living wage.

6 Comments:

Blogger Lisaural said...

Are you advocating a market-based approach to dealing with the current downturn in available jobs? I just want to be sure I am reading you right.

I work at pay near the poverty level in a group home for teenagers who have been removed from their homes. I am an active liberal, as are many of the people I work with and serve. The president is planning to cut spending for people that I serve in his new budget. This scares me. We are all holding on to what we have by the tips of our fingers.

I guess I was just surprised to hear a view like yours from someone who is also just holding on.

Thanks again for your blog!

10:18 AM  
Blogger Fred F. said...

Actually that is what I mean. I think there are way too many programs now. If we bypass the government and its payroll, there would be so much more for those that are struggling, thru better wages, better healthcare, more jobs.
I understand the need for some programs. But by in large many are redundant.
The only jobs that are directly a result of the government are those who are emplyed either by the government or through grant-based programs.
Instead of spending billions to feed and house homeless, lets put them to work. Back on the taxrolls.
The solutions that are in place aren't working. Isn't it time for something else?

11:10 AM  
Blogger Fred F. said...

I dont want to sound like I am uncaring. I am just hanging on as you have said. But there are others coming after me who can benefit with less talk and more walk.
I have never talked to anyone who worked as an advocate that didn't with all their heart and soul believe their program was crucial to the people they served. And in all likelyhood it is. All the more reason we find another way to get the job done.Wouldn't you like to have more funds availible? Not just for wages but for materials to help you and those you are helping?
Of course. Thats why we need to really look at different ways to accomplish what we are trying to do.
The shortest distance between two points is a straight line.

11:23 AM  
Blogger Lisaural said...

In a market based economy, profit and expenditure rule all interactions and guide the ethics used to make decisions.

I agree that putting homeless people to work is a good idea - on many different fronts: namely socio-economic and that of personal esteem, but I don't think all people who live on the streets have the skills needed to work in today's job market.

I don't want to speak for any in your position, but a lot of people are homeless because of mental health or learning disability issues. Those people can't just be given a job and expected to jump right into the sophisticated workplace of today.

I, myself, am a person of above average IQ who merely posses a high school diploma. I have taken about 80 credits of college classes, but I have no desire to finish. I hate it. I seem to bring myself to do it. The thought of going to school makes me want to retch and so I am working a job that I believe in, but I am doing it that the poverty level because I don't have a bachelor's degree. I feel if I could just get an interview, people would see how much I have to offer...but the screening in place makes it so I never even have the opportunity to make a first impression.

How much harder is it for someone with mental and physical health issues, is addicted to drugs, or who is unable to read? These are the people who in a market based society are worth even less than they are seemingly worth to the system now. And instead of a governmental quasi-safety net, there is nothing at all because there is no way to turn a profit on them.

7:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To Lisaural.
I have known Fred for awhile now. I hired him to work for me last summer.
I read both of the posts he has written on this subject and it seems he isn't talking just about putting homeless to work. Actually , from what I have read, he is for downsizing the Government. Putting control back into the people's hands and getting rid of waste. Not a bad idea to me. I for one am tired of the politicians and their" I'll scratch your back you scratch mine" way of doing business.
Now, granted, I don't have "80 credits of college classes", I have a Masters degree in Engineering and a B.A. in Business Administration, I don't know my IQ , but, I do know common sense when I see it. And Fred has that, along with a 4 year degree himself.
You stated that you work in a home for teens who have been removed from their homes. Honorable work. You also stated that "We are all holding on to what we have ny the tips of our fingers". Exactly the reason that you should welcome someone who wants change. You live or die by the swings of a budget ax. Why not change that? Thats the message he gets thru to myself and to my staff, all of whom have Master's degrees. Not that it takes a higher education to realize when change is needed.
Business doesn't need to turn a profit by helping out health and social programs. My business helps out and it benefits us in numerous ways, other than what appears on a spreadsheet, although it does appear there as well.
I thought both posts were well written and had great insite. I also felt that someone in your position, would warm to a new idea rather than brush it aside.

7:27 AM  
Blogger Lisaural said...

Hiya Fred -

I hope that Anonymous' comments don't speak for you. I wasn't trying to attack you, or your ideas. Nor was I trying to brag about my position in life.

I was just interested in a dialogue on this subject with you, precisely because it is *so* interesting to me that you feel this way. I didn't intend for my ideas to come across as "brushing" yours off. I wanted to query you to find out more.

But then again, I don't have a bachelors AND a master's degree.

Thanks much for the blog. I look forward to your posts. Good luck!

Ever,
Lisaural

5:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home