Homeless Nashville

How do you describe being homeless? Growing up in a middle class family, doing all the right things. Then one day, you are on the street.What Happens now?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Nashville, Tennessee, United States

Now that I am no longer homeless, I still hope to help others. There are a few who truly want off the streets, out of the soup lines. Back to a "normal" way of living. Everyone who is homeless isn't a bum, nor a criminal. There are those that just need a chance. My first day as a homeless person was April 1st, 1997. From then on its been an unreal experience. Not one I would suggest anyone go thru, but one I know I have learned from. I hope in some way this blog helps you, the reader know a little about me. But more important , I hope it helps you understand a little more about homeless people in general.

2.04.2005

2.04.2005

Good morning everyone! I you are all safe and sound.

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.

William G. McAdoo(1863-1941)
Ever try to explain something to someone who has a pre-conceived notion of things? Impossible to get them to see the light. Homeless face this everyday. The pre-conceived notion is that if you are homeless, you are dirty, a bum, lazy ,alcoholic, drug user,ignorant and a criminal.
Labels.We label everything these days, from food to the sticker on a car at a dealer. you can find lots of useful information on some lables.But what other group of humans would carry the lable "dirty"?
I get labeled that yet I shower everyday, many times twice a day. My clothes, while not from Brooks Bros. are clean. I shave daily, my hair is trimmed. Yet, I am homeless. Dirty? No.
A bum?I ask nothing from anyone , except for a job. I did receive some gifts from friends for Christmas , so maybe I am a bum. Wait! I seem to recall a few million others getting gifts then too. Are we all bums?No.
Lazy. I walk about 10 miles per day. When I had a job last summer it was even more. I would get up n the morning, walk to work. It was about 3 miles. Walk to shower and do my laundry in the evenings. Walk to get something to eat. Walk home.
I pick up cans to feed myself. Have never turned down any job offered to me. Lazy? No.
Ignorant. I have a degree in American History. Grew up in the country where you learn to use common sense. Ignorant? No.
Criminal? Last ticket I got was in 1974. Speeding when I was a kid. Criminal? No.
Alcoholic or drug user? Last beer I had was 3 years ago, I was never a drinker. Never used drugs I my life. Even when friends were pot smoking, I turned it down. Abuse problems? No.
Labels. Do homeless deserve the labels we get? In some cases the labels are true. There are homeless who are dirty, lazy, uneducated ,criminal, substance abusers and even more.But not all. Just like all people who are CEO's are not like the Rigas' or Scrushy's of the world.
Labels.

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.

3 Comments:

Blogger Aaron the Atheist said...

Fred, thank you for posting this. You are so right about labels. For atheists there are loads of labels. Among them:

Lacking in Spirituality. When Spirituality is defined outside religion, I don't believe I am lacking there.

Satan Worshipper. Nonsense! Since I don't believe in the Christian God, it stands to reason that I also don't believe in God's evil counterpart Satan. Those that worship Satan in direct rebuke to God are of another category of people entirely.

Angry. Well yes..anger is a normal emotion. It's how we handle anger that makes the difference. I don't go on road rages, I don't beat up people, etc. I may rant and get it out of my system, but so do Christians and everyone else. Anger is not restricted to Atheists.

Empty. Without believing in God we are empty inside. Nothing could be further from the truth. I feel full of enjoyment of life since I shed the doubtful veil of Christianity.

Lacking in Knowledge of Christianity. Maybe some Atheists, but I have been there and back. Raised in a Lutheran (Missouri Synod) household, dragged to Church and Sunday School from the age of about 4, I know all about Christianity. I also had a "Born Again" phase in my 20's to supplement my knowledge of the subject. LOL.

Now people don't usually know I'm an Atheist. I mean I don't wear a shirt that says "IM Atheist" or anything. When it does come up in conversation (which church do you attend Aaron?), then I'm honest about it.

I suspect the same is true of you. If one walked by you on the street or sat next to you on the bus, I'll bet they would not know you're homeless.

Anyway, best of luck on your job hunts. I know good things will come to you.

Aaron

5:21 PM  
Blogger Fred F. said...

Labels. Thing is I guess we all from time to time label someone. I think the important thing is to just try to live the best we can and realize everyone is different and those differences make the world better.

7:17 AM  
Blogger Blog World said...

i was just browsing through the blog world searching for the keyword posters and it brought me to your site. You have a great site however it is not exactly what i was looking for. Good luck on your site.

9:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home