Homeless Nashville

How do you describe being homeless? Growing up in a middle class family, doing all the right things. Then one day, you are on the street.What Happens now?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Nashville, Tennessee, United States

Now that I am no longer homeless, I still hope to help others. There are a few who truly want off the streets, out of the soup lines. Back to a "normal" way of living. Everyone who is homeless isn't a bum, nor a criminal. There are those that just need a chance. My first day as a homeless person was April 1st, 1997. From then on its been an unreal experience. Not one I would suggest anyone go thru, but one I know I have learned from. I hope in some way this blog helps you, the reader know a little about me. But more important , I hope it helps you understand a little more about homeless people in general.

1.22.2005

1.22.2005

Wow what a change in the weather! Gonna be 21 tonite.
I witnessed an interesting thing yesterday here at the library. I was in the periodicals area reading , a man and woman in their late 50's maybe early 60's were sitting across from me. The man had dozed off for a bit, it was rather warm in here. The library security people came along, looked at him and passed right on by. Stopping directly behind him to usher out a homeless man.
This gentlemans wife woke him up, saying"wake up, they don't allow people to sleep in here". Which it is against the rules, understandably. But then one of the security people , in a whisper told them it was ok, he knew that they were not homeless.
Two sets of rules I guess. The couple seemed visibly perplexed about the situation. I told them it, sadly , wasn't unusual. They said they were going to speak to someone in charge about it, I hope they did.
Most people in downtown Nashville are pretty understanding and tolerant of homeless.
But a few, and many of those who let a smigen of power go to their heads, seem to want to harrass homeless as much as possible.
There is a parking garage adjacent to the back door to the library. I good place to wait when the weather is nasty. There is a guard(s) that stroll thru there from time to time, if they deem everyone there is homeless, you get run out. BUT there are people who are not homeless in there, everyone stays, they won't ask them to leave.
You leave the downtown area and the people and police are much nicer. I have a police officer who has befriended me. He tells me the officers downtown are the ones they don't know what to do with. Arrogant, and a few other adjectives I won't print here. You can acutally see what he says is true. For the most part the downtown officers have some kind of a chip on their shoulders. NOT ALL. But most.
.Nashville was rated as the 18th worst city in America in treating the homeless.It will get worse I fear.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home