Homeless Nashville

How do you describe being homeless? Growing up in a middle class family, doing all the right things. Then one day, you are on the street.What Happens now?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Nashville, Tennessee, United States

Now that I am no longer homeless, I still hope to help others. There are a few who truly want off the streets, out of the soup lines. Back to a "normal" way of living. Everyone who is homeless isn't a bum, nor a criminal. There are those that just need a chance. My first day as a homeless person was April 1st, 1997. From then on its been an unreal experience. Not one I would suggest anyone go thru, but one I know I have learned from. I hope in some way this blog helps you, the reader know a little about me. But more important , I hope it helps you understand a little more about homeless people in general.

1.12.2005

1.12.2005

''People see a poor little cat shivering on the street and they give it a bowl of milk.But they see a person shivering out in the cold and they want to walk by him. Something's wrong with that.''

Nashville Vice Mayor Howard Gentry.

In many ways I agree with the VM. I have been on the other side of the coin that I am on now.People do ignore the homeless and hope we go away or at the very least don't bother them. I can see their point, most folks have all they can do to support themseleves without handing anything out to a stranger. The Mayor recently outlined a plan to get the homeless off Nashville's streets and back into the mainstream. Will it work? It will for a few. Government plans always do work for a few. The problem is how do you have a plan that covers all? Meets the needs of everyone on the street? For one thing is the plan prepared to cover the hundreds of homeless this will attract from all over the country? I doubt it. Nashville attracts many homeless here for the winter now. The Room in the Inn draws many to Nashville. Its a program run by the Campus for Human Develpment. Area Churchs provide transportation, meals and bedding for a night for homeless people. It runs 7 nights a week and takes in many homeless. I have never partaken of the services, but I hear many good things about it.Clothing, showers and many other services are provided by the church's.
But like I said many people come here for that very reason, and any major Government program would attract many many more. Does that make ANY program feasible?

On the other side,Richard Ropelewski. He owns Stuttgart South auto repair on 7th ave south.
When all your food is provided and you get free clothes and a place to stay, why should you change? The city just needs to get out of the homeless business.


I see his point and see it daily. When a person first becomes homeless, they do everything in their power to find work, find shelter, eat. And most find the doors closed to them that used to be open. His words may ring cruel to many, but he still has a point. But for many, after awhile, it becomes easier to just go with the flow. Stay homeless. Because it seems everything you try , just fails and you can only take so much failure. I have been on the streets so long now its going to be VERY tough for me to find a decent, steady job. But I haven't, and hope I never reach the point I give up. If I could make Mr.Ropelewski and others understand one thing, that would be that for whatever reasons a person became homeless, many DON'T want to stay that way. We want jobs, homes, loved ones to share life with.

I got sidetracked from what I was going to write today. My two hours are almost up so I will have to try to get to it tomorrow. Have a wonderful day everyone!



4 Comments:

Blogger fantababy said...

Are you an Indian ?

10:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see alot of blogs by homeless that are just wanting a handout, you dont seem to want anything but a job. I commend you for that.

1:46 PM  
Blogger Fred F. said...

A job is all I want, a chance.
Thanks for reading!

1:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How many people go to Nashville just for that Room in the inn program? How many homeless in Nashville are originally from Nashville Where do you get your information from? Is there a website with information about homeless people who travel - how many there are, and where they go to?

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home