Homeless Nashville

How do you describe being homeless? Growing up in a middle class family, doing all the right things. Then one day, you are on the street.What Happens now?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Nashville, Tennessee, United States

Now that I am no longer homeless, I still hope to help others. There are a few who truly want off the streets, out of the soup lines. Back to a "normal" way of living. Everyone who is homeless isn't a bum, nor a criminal. There are those that just need a chance. My first day as a homeless person was April 1st, 1997. From then on its been an unreal experience. Not one I would suggest anyone go thru, but one I know I have learned from. I hope in some way this blog helps you, the reader know a little about me. But more important , I hope it helps you understand a little more about homeless people in general.

12.18.2004

Who are the Homeless?

What diversity is there in the homeless population?
1. The mentally ill. Every stastic I have seen says about 1/3 of the population on the streets and in shelters is mentally ill, who cannot provide for themselves.
2. The alcohol and drug abusers. About 1/4 of the homeless population are substance abusers.These usually the ones you see panhandling and who most people judge all homeless by.
3. Unemployed and those who are no longer employable make up almost half the population.
4. About 1/3 are Veterans.

Most have lost their family unit. The foundation that everyone has. Someone to go to in time of need, to talk with, to just be there for them.
Domestic abuse, divorce all contibute as well.
Those that do work make very low wages and there is no affordable housing for them.
Life throws a lot of things at everyone. For those who ended up homeless, they weren't, for whatever reason(s), able to deal successfully with the situation.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home