Homeless Nashville

How do you describe being homeless? Growing up in a middle class family, doing all the right things. Then one day, you are on the street.What Happens now?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Nashville, Tennessee, United States

Now that I am no longer homeless, I still hope to help others. There are a few who truly want off the streets, out of the soup lines. Back to a "normal" way of living. Everyone who is homeless isn't a bum, nor a criminal. There are those that just need a chance. My first day as a homeless person was April 1st, 1997. From then on its been an unreal experience. Not one I would suggest anyone go thru, but one I know I have learned from. I hope in some way this blog helps you, the reader know a little about me. But more important , I hope it helps you understand a little more about homeless people in general.

12.15.2004

12.15.2004

I haven't had much time today to add any posts. I have been trying to work with the template and add a few things to it. Unsuccessfully I might add. But I am learning, and thats always a good thing.
After looking at the weather, it seems we won't be warming up. Oh well.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I wrote before, asking about working at McDonald's. Don't know if you remember me. Perhaps there's some explanation, but I think it's terrible that you can't get a job if you don't have an address. Surely the government realizes the predicament that puts homeless people in? Sorry if my comments are ignorant.

I actually live in Japan, and I don't know what's different here in terms of rules of employment, but I know for a fact that a lot of homeless people in Japan have jobs.

I'm sorry to hear it's so cold where you are. I hate the cold myself and can't wait for summer to come back. I hope it comes back quickly for you in Nashville.

Rachel

5:07 AM  
Blogger Fred F. said...

I may need to move to Japan! It is different here, I really can't explain why that its so difficult for a homeless person to get work. I am willing, more than willing. I want to support myself, not just survive, but to be a part of the community. I think part of it is a stigma that homeless aren't to be trusted. Tehy tend to think a homeless person is going to rob them, or assult them. Thats doubtful. I am not saying there aren't homeless people that would do that, there are..but by in large homeless people you see here are traveling. Either to get a meal or services, or going to where they live. Panhandling is pretty prevalent here in Nashville. And that gives homeless folks a bad name too. Most don't do it, but I have seen a few who not only panhandle, but they get rambunctious about it.

Back to the job situation. I hope that when the weather warms again I can go back to work where I was at this past summer. I enjoyed the work and MAYBE it will turn into full time work for me too. The people were very nice to me, understanding. I always go clean, my clothes are clean, maybe not new, but clean. Not ragged.
And I think that helps foster some trust. People look at someone who is unkempt as being unworthy of trust. Not always the truth, but we are human.

As a note. I keep a record of the places where I put in applications. Last night I added up the applications I had given out in the past 12 months. The total was 458.
I got ONE reply and they hired me after talking with me.
It gets depressing. But I get tired of being in the situation I am in. So I keep at it.
Thanks again for writing, its very good to know someone reads my ramblings.

7:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home