Homeless Nashville

How do you describe being homeless? Growing up in a middle class family, doing all the right things. Then one day, you are on the street.What Happens now?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Nashville, Tennessee, United States

Now that I am no longer homeless, I still hope to help others. There are a few who truly want off the streets, out of the soup lines. Back to a "normal" way of living. Everyone who is homeless isn't a bum, nor a criminal. There are those that just need a chance. My first day as a homeless person was April 1st, 1997. From then on its been an unreal experience. Not one I would suggest anyone go thru, but one I know I have learned from. I hope in some way this blog helps you, the reader know a little about me. But more important , I hope it helps you understand a little more about homeless people in general.

12.14.2004

12.14.2004

I have been often asked the question, "how do people help the homeless?" Good question that there are many answers too. Short term:

make up a goody bag, with socks, gloves(brown jersey gloves are good, but they wear out in about 3 weeks),maybe a stocking cap.A few pieces of candy, potato chips, maybe a can of soda. Some , like myself have radios, so AA batteries are always welcome.


Larger intems could include coats, sweatshirts, JEANS!, blankets for those that sleep on the streets. Even an old sleeping bag in the attic , you no longer use.
Food is good, but there is food everywhere in Nashville.


Maybe you have eaten out and have a doggie bag, a homeless person might enjoy that.But meals in general are not hard to find.

If you like you can email me, I will try to help out anyway I can.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I accidentally stumbled upon your blog today. I'm very curious how you learned about blogging, since it doesn't sound like you have a lot of Internet time in the library.

I hope you don't mind me asking some blunt questions: Do you choose not to work or would you happily accept a job if it were offered to you? I always wonder how difficult it would be for a homeless person to get hired, say, at McDonalds. I mean, if they hire teenagers without any experience, why not homeless people?

8:44 AM  
Blogger Fred F. said...

Helo. First question. I stumbled upon blogging, read about it in a magazine. Googled it up and here I am.
The library just recently put a limit on usage. Now to get much time I walk to different branches.


Secondly, I have had jobs. All short term.
I can't speak for McDonalds, but I have had many, many employers tell me that without a phone, and with no permanent address, they wouldn't hire me.

I had a job this summer for about 4 months. My supervisor said I was the best worker he ever had.It was however a short-term job. I was hoping it would last longer, so I could save enough to get thru winter.

Thnaks for your interest, and I don't mind direct questions.

9:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, I never really read any other blog than silverskitty but yours really caught my eye. I am curious about how old you are and where your family is. You said that you don't mind direct questions so I am wondering why no one is helping you out? What is the weather like in Nashville this time of year? I live in Michigan and it is 13 degrees today with the wind chill and I can't imagine having nowhere warm to go. Did you grow up in Nashville? I am sorry about all of the questions I am just facinated is all.

1:15 PM  
Blogger Fred F. said...

I am 50 years old. Just had a Birthday in November.
As for family, I have no close family left. I was raised by my Grandparents in West Virginia. I lived in West Virginia until 1995

Why is no one helping me out? I guess I really don't seek help. I do apply for work on a constant basis, but the longer you are without a job, the harder it is to find one.
The weather here is usually mild, but we have a cold wave going thru right now. I think you have sent some of that Michigan weather down here for Christmas. It was 20 degrees last night and I hear its going to be about 18 tonight.
And again, I don't mind questions. Maybe answering some of your questions, will help me answer some of my own.
Thanks for writing..

1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home