Homeless Nashville

How do you describe being homeless? Growing up in a middle class family, doing all the right things. Then one day, you are on the street.What Happens now?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Nashville, Tennessee, United States

Now that I am no longer homeless, I still hope to help others. There are a few who truly want off the streets, out of the soup lines. Back to a "normal" way of living. Everyone who is homeless isn't a bum, nor a criminal. There are those that just need a chance. My first day as a homeless person was April 1st, 1997. From then on its been an unreal experience. Not one I would suggest anyone go thru, but one I know I have learned from. I hope in some way this blog helps you, the reader know a little about me. But more important , I hope it helps you understand a little more about homeless people in general.

12.14.2004

12.14.2004

It was COLD last night. Down to about 20 degrees. Where I stay is pretty quiet, I have been there about 16 months and I have only had other homeless come by twice. Both times looking for a place to drink. I did have three guys coming by on Wed. nites to smoke crack. But I finally convinced them to leave and not come back.

Anyway, the police have had bicycle units in the neighborhood for awhile and one of the officers who kneww I was there came by. I have to admit I am not a fan of Nashville's finest, but this officer was truly concerned about my well-being. Until I told him I was there all last winter. Still he offered to call a car to take me to the mission anytime I wanted, all I had to do is to go out to the main street and he would come get me.That was pretty decent of him. I have dealt with a few who were very obnoxious.

BTW, I do have permission to sleep where I am from the building owner. There have been break-ins in the area, but none in the buildings where I am at. I am up at the first strange sound. Self-preservation mostly.

Still didn't get that zipper fixed on my sleeping bag, but I was warm, except for my feet. I am trying to figure out something to solve that for tonight and the future.

"The future". I used to think about the future in much different terms than I have the past few years. Future, to me, meant work, planning for vacations, holidays, etc. I used to love to hunt and fish. Now, planning for the future is on a much more basic level and tends to not look much past the next couple of days.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home